Eating a healthy, successful plant-based diet requires a bit of planning. Here is a quick video on how to make sure you buy all the grocery items you need every week without making elaborate lists. This is good for people that don’t have a ton of time to plan meals, but still want to eat healthy.
I have a list of “food groups” in my mind and whenever I go to the grocery store. Here they are:
- Greens! (The king of food.)
– For salads, smoothies, and cooking
- Colorful vegetables
– For salads, cooking, and snacks
– Always include avocado
– Frozen and fresh
- Beans / Lentils
– Canned or dry
- Nuts / Seeds / Dry Fruits
– Raw and unsalted only
– Dry fruits, unsweetened when possible
- Grains and Bread
– Rice, pasta, quinoa, etc.
- Non-Dairy Milk
– Soy, hemp, almond, etc.!
- Condiments and Treats
– Almond butter, salad dressing, dark chocolate, unsalted corn chips, salsa, hummus, etc.
– When available or sprout yourself
I alternate between Trader Joe’s and Sprout’s. With these guidelines in mind, I buy items from each food group so that I can easily prepare all the foods I eat in my daily diet. I am always optimizing for a combination of efficiency, health, and economy.