Kate Richardson, BS, NDTR, a nutritionist for Tiny Steps, walks you through how to prepare quinoa!
Quinoa can be made in 15-20 minutes, giving you plenty of time to chop and prepare the ingredients to put in it!
Such an easy meal for the whole family! Save extra quinoa as a base to add other mix-ins for a completely different meal, in half the time. Saves well for leftovers or for lunch on the go!
Recipe as seen in the video:
2c Water (or low sodium broth or stock)
1-2tsp olive oil
1. Pour quinoa in a strainer and rinse for about 1-2 minutes or until the water runs clear.
2. Heat 1-2tsp olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat
3. Pour the rinsed quinoa into the saucepan and stir continuously as you toast the quinoa and hear it rapidly sizzling (about 5 minutes)
4. Add the water (or low sodium broth/stock) and turn up the heat to high, bring to a boil.
5.Reduce to low and cover for 15 minutes.
6. Remove from heat (optional: let sit covered for another 5 minutes)
7. Fluff with a fork and add ingredients.
Mix-ins from this video:
-1/4c cilantro, finely chopped
– 4 scallion onions, chopped
-1/2 lemon zest + juice
-1/2c golden cherub tomatoes, halved
-1 roma tomato, chopped
– 1 can drained and rinsed low sodium black beans
Variations of mix-ins:
Chick peas (garbanzo beans)
Red kidney beans
-VEGETABLES (raw or cooked)-